History of Royal Tarlair Golf Club
At the dawn of the 20th century so enthusiastic were the Macduff fishermen and townspeople for the Royal and Ancient game of golf that they improvised a course on the then lotted lands known as “Berrymuir”. Empty cocoa tins, plugged into the greens, were the holes!
This “home-made” course served until 1923 when it was felt that both the standard of golf and the town of Macduff deserved a less rough and ready venue of play.
With commendable foresight a committee of business men formulated a scheme for the construction of a first class 18-hole course for the town., and the Town Council, under whose auspices the course is being formed, with the wisdom and prevision which has always characterised this body, generously supported the scheme financially and otherwise, which will, without doubt, bring Macduff in the near future to the forefront as a great golfing centre.
The site at Tarlair, which was granted to the promoters on generous terms by the trustees of the late Duke of Fife, was unanimously chosen as providing ground which, in the opinion of the Architect, Mr. George Smith of Lossiemouth, leading Scottish professional of the day, would make one of the finest seaside courses in the North of Scotland.
Tuesday,8th June 1926
“H.R.H the Princess Royal has shown such a gracious and sympathetic interest in the Club and the new course that she has readily agreed to its having the word “Royal” included in its official designation.
Henceforth, therefore the course will be known as that of Royal Tarlair Golf Club and will take its place among the select company of courses in the country that have such a privilege”